Home » Lesbos » Leimonos Monastery

Leimonos Monastery

Leimonos Church

Leimonos Church

The Monastery of St. Ignatius, known as the Monastery Leimonos (moni Limonos), was founded in 1526 by St. Ignatius Agallianos on the ruins of a Byzantine monastery. It was dedicated to the Archangel Michael, who is a local saint. Today is dedicated to the saint’s founder.

Since the early 16th century until today, the monastery has played an important role in the religious, educational and intellectual history of the island, but also in the broad areas of social and economic activity.

The Monastery’s collections comprise  of images of the monastery, embroidered vestments and textiles, objects of religious use, folklore relics. Of particular value is also the library of the monastery , with the manuscripts and printed books, as well as the Archive of Greek and Ottoman documents.

Directions:


View Larger Map

Photo Gallery

, ,

Leave a Reply

December 2018
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

Recent Comments